Wednesday 12 May 2010

May 2010

Sunday 9th May
First long run for a while, did the Swindon half route from my house so about 15 miles. Felt good most of the way, a bit of foot pain in the last mile or so, but I really struggle to keep running in the last mile. I think it must be a mental thing.

Monday 10th May
Rest. Time to watch England's last match in the super eights of the twenty20 world cup. They won comfortably and are top of their group to go through to the semis. Yay!

Tuesday 11th May

Track session, 6 * 900m. Did 4 laps to warm up then an extra 2 with Janine. Session wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I didn't get lapped at all and managed to break each rep down into chunks. First 100m as a loosener, then a 400m rep strong and steady then pushed it on the last 400m. Managed all the reps which I didn't think I'd do. 2 laps to cool down with Janine and Lydia then had fun in Tescos shopping with J.

Wednesday 12th May
Easy run outside, 5 miles approx, followed by RPM class. Lot of lower back pain on the run, and worked out my trainers are over 6 months old so that may be why. RPM good, Emma teaching tracks 5-9. Would prefer to do body pump but again it was far too busy.

Thursday 13th May
Rest - Eng v Sri Lanka in the semi-final of the world twenty20, and England through to the final - yay!

Friday 14th May
No running, but walked to and from work so that's the best part of 2 hours' walking. In terms of calorie burning, I reckon that's as good as anything and the t-shirts I was wearing were soaked at the end of each walk.

Saturday 15th May
Quite a lot of training today. Ran to gym (the long way), did RPM and body pump and then ran home (the long way).

Sunday 16th May
Legs felt battered after yesterday and England are playing in the final of the world twenty20 this afternoon so didn't want to knacker myself out completely and end up sleeping all the way through it.
So ran to the gym (short way) did James' one hour RPM class and ran home (long way). By God that was a tough RPM class - I was struggling and someone else nearly passed out!
Enjoyed the afternoon watching England winning their first ever World Cup! Not every day that happens!

Monday 17th May
Enforced rest. Not a happy day at all - spent the morning trying to see a doctor as my iritis has flared up again after a few years' absence, was referred to the eye clinic at the hospital in the afternoon and given some drops.

Had hoped to do a track session with HIghworth Running Club tonight, 2 sets of 8 * 300m. Have too many friends there to not go to the Tuesday session but can't go tomorrow due to a leaving do. Only consolation about not being able to go was getting a text from Janine saying she couldn't go either.

Tuesday 18th May
Rest. Tracey Freeman's leaving do at the Oriental Aroma straight after work so no chance to get a run in. Ended up wishing I had gone to the track instead, as good as the food was the company was boring and I could have saved myself £15.

Wednesday 19th May
Rest again. In London for Damian Barr's literary salon. Had hoped to run in the morning, but forgot I was on a course and had to pop into work instead to do a presentation (long story).

Very pleasant evening with Alex Preston (author of This Bleeding City) and Diana Athill among those doing the readings. Had a relaxing afternoon in London, the weather was good enough for me to sit in St James' Park, read and generally de-stress.

Thursday 20th May
Steady run in the evening, about 7-8 miles. Had to take it steady as vision in left eye very blurred, some pain in my lower back and shins due to my trainers being so worn out, but good to run again.

Cinema on the way home, the film tonight was Four Lions, a spoof about suicide bombers. Wasn't sure if I found the idea of suicide bombers trying to blow themselves up at the London Marathon all that amusing, but it had its moments.

Friday 21st May
No running, but walked to and from work again. I remember Dad telling me once walking is better than running in some respects because it makes you less thirsty. Sorry Dad, I don't agree.

Saturday 22nd May
Body pump at the gym. Ran there and back, the long way home. Probably should have tried to do a longer run today. Ali wasn't teaching and the girl who covered, lovely girl that she is, made a mess of it, including starting on time when it was meant to start at 11.15 so yours truly missed the first two tracks. Oh well. At least I had a good read afterwards.

Sunday 23rd May
Just a short-ish run (about 50 minutes) in the morning as off to watch cricket at Bath today. Interesting how many more runners there are out in the nice weather, and made even better by the number of female runners!

It was a lovely day at the cricket, Somerset v Worcestershire in a 40 overs match. I couldn't really follow it as I couldn't see well enough, plus we couldn't see the scorecard from where we were sat. So just chilled out, read the paper, drank some beer, soaked up the sun, drank more beer, enjoyed Terry, Hazel and Aaron's company, drank more beer before it was time to grab a Schwartz burger and catch the train home. It might sound decadent, but I stopped at the Savoy for a drink on my own which may turn out to be one of the best things I ever did as I read an interesting piece on how struggling authors get published in the Sunday Times, which offered some useful advice..

Monday 24th May
Feeling a bit happier in myself today, my eye looked better for the first time since the infection set in and the hospital confirmed I can start reducing the drops at the end of the week.

7 miles on the treadmill at a decent pace, a bit too warm to run outdoors, plus I can't really trip on anything running on the treadmill can I?

Posted my entry forms today for the New Forest Marathon in September and the Bourton Hilly Half Marathon in June, the latter being on my birthday. Never thought I'd see the day when I run a half marathon on my birthday, but there you go.

Tuesday 25th May
Track session, 7 * 500m. 4 laps to warm up as usual, then the session. A smaller group than usual, which seemed a bit odd. I could understand it if it had been as warm as the previous evening, but it was a lot cooler, if slightly muggy. Had a good session for the most part - until the 6th rep in fact, when I felt a bit wobbly with 100m to go. I stopped, took a quick breather and then jogged to the end before taking the last rep a bit steadier. I just wanted to leave with my pride intact knowing I had finished the session. 4 laps to warm down, mostly with my friend Dominique. Very often it is too easy to skimp on the cool down if there is no one to jog round with, so it's nice to have someone who does the same distance to warm up and cool down, even if her running is in a different league to mine.

Must have been tired from the session as I fell asleep in my armchair when I got home which doesn't normally happen on a Tuesday. I later wondered if the iritis is anything to do with it as my body is still fighting an infection, which takes something out of you.

Wednesday 26th May
Pay day today and a small bonus in our pay packets so ordered new trainers as a matter of priority. Look forward now to starting proper training ie getting proper long runs in at the weekends.

Forgot to book in for body pump tonight so did 3 miles on the treadmill steady followed by RPM. Won't be going to this so often in future, just supporting Emma while she qualifies as an instructor.

Thursday 27th May
Writers' cafe so rest today.

Friday 28th May
At Lords' for the cricket today so rest again. Cricket was ok but the weather was great, really feel like I deserved my day in the sun.

Saturday 29th May
New trainers arrived today but too hungover after yesterday to do anything!

Sunday 30th May
Really, really wanted to go for a run in my new trainers but had to deal with a minor disaster at home as some idiot spilled oil over my doorstep. I didn't see it and trod in it when I went outside early in the morning so managed to tread it all inside the house.

Monday 31st May
RPM in the morning as Emma was teaching, then got out for a run in the evening with Terry, Kev and Tony. 5 miles, average pace 8.5 mins per mile. Had a terrible stitch in the first 3 miles but broke in my trainers at least.

No comments: