Saturday 20 September 2008

Just soldiering on...

Monday 15th September
Really stiff and sore today, so much so that getting up and down the stairs at work was a problem. I gave in and took the lift a couple of times..

Went to the gym not harbouring any great ambitions of doing anything special, maybe just a coffee and a steam? Ended up doing 5k on the treadmill, very slow (top speed 10.8kph) but it seemed to loosen the legs up a bit.

Tuesday 16th September
Again, wasn't sure what to do today. Ended up doing hill reps at the ridge, two sets of 10 reps with a 5 minute jog between sets. Definitely felt I was going through the motions a bit, not really able to put my heart and soul into it, physically or mentally.

Highlight of my day was probably having a five minute chin-wag with my friend and colleague Tamara Howard (we did the three peaks challenge together two years ago) at lunch, impressing her with my time on Sunday, and talking about our favourite events. She recommended the Slaughterford race in January which might make a good training run for London.

Wednesday 17th September
Running club tonight, a switch from Thursday. Would normally have gone to pump but the thought occured to me that when I get back from holiday we're going to be running in the dark and cold together, so make best use of the sunlight. Not sure everyone in the group is cold-weather runners.

Anyway, 8 miles at a good pace (about 8.30ish per mile). Impressed at my recovery from the weekend and my breathing seems to have got better lately. Maybe I've dropped a few pounds, it must be stress-related because my alchohol consumption has been far too high for a supposed dedicated athlete.

Did hit 66,000 words of the novel mind you.

No comments: