Tuesday 14 April 2009

Starting the taper

Tuesday 14th April
Speed session tonight but decided to mix it up a bit. 1.6k warm up, then 10 * 2 minutes @ 14kph but cut the recovery time back from 60 seconds to 30. It would have helped if I hadn't had to switch treadmills after the first 3 reps because the belt was slipping, but I felt I coped well. It was a lot harder with the shorter recoveries, but that pace is obviously more comfortable for me now.

Wednesday 15th April
Just body pump tonight. Went a tad lighter on some of the tracks. Wasn't tempted to do RPM afterwards. Well, ok maybe a little. But instead I had a 'For Goodness Shakes' milkshake (now is not the time to be skimping on calories) and got myself home and had a quality editing session.

I read later on runners' world it is not a good idea to do any weights in the two weeks before a marathon as it won't help you in the race, will sap your strength, and may even cause an injury. Oh well I won't do pump again before the big day.

Thursday 16th April
7 (11.2k) miles on the treadmill, nice and steady. Resisted the temptation to crank up the pace at the end. Think I may have upset Terry by refusing to join him for a run outside, but it was raining and the last thing I should do is take any silly risks, so why risk catching a cold?

Friday 17th April
Not raining this evening so managed to get outside. Did a five mile jog, very steady. My legs felt very sore, which just goes to show how much they need a week of next to nothing before the big day.

Saturday 18th April
Complete rest. Competing in the Highworth five mile race tomorrow but am thinking it may be as well to jog round as opposed to going for broke and risking an injury.

No comments: