Sunday 23 March 2008

Maidenhead Easter Ten

Thursday 20th March
Rest.

Friday 21st March

Competed in the Maidenhead Easter Ten 10 mile race. I only really did so because I was offered a lift to the event by Ashley Fox, the endurance co-ordinator with the Swindon Harriers. Otherwise it would have been too far. I was interested to see what time I could get at this distance on a flat course.

In the end, the race went about as badly as it could have done and I was disappointed with my time. Yes it was flat, but the first few miles were just laps of a faceless industrial estate - soul destroying. When we finally did head off into the rural part of the race, we were met with a strong wind which slowed me right down. Also, for some parts of the race we couldn't run on the road and were forced to run in single file along the path, unless you overtook on the grass. Despite a day off and the fact that pump loosened me up, my legs were very sore and the whole thing was just a huge battle.

Was very disappointed to only beat my time from the Tough Ten by 20 or 30 seconds, but not overly surprised. Still, it was another 10 miles of running and Ashley is a very experienced runner who can talk for England so I learnt quite a lot from him. So not a waste of time by any means.

Saturday 22nd March

Body pump in the morning, followed by a stretching session. Ali was not impressed that I had raced again yesterday despite the recent injury. He had a point I guess, but I hadn't done any further damage.

Sunday 23rd March
Treadmill session, just 8km, steady. Would have liked to do an hour on the treadmill but my heel was a bit sore so I decided not to force the issue.

No comments: