Thursday 27 March 2008

New trainers

Monday 24th March
Long run today, 10 miles, 1 hr 40 mins approx, nice and steady. Did the Elcombe route from the gym that I learnt from the running club guys. Not a bad effort considering I'd been on the sauce all weekend. Definitely felt the weight difference going up some of those hills. Also realised that my trainers are not giving me the support I need so ordered a new pair (good old Nike Air Pegasus) from dorunning.com when I got back. I'd been meaning to do it for a while as they were such a good price.

Tuesday 25th March
Track session. 4 laps to warm up, then 30 x 200m starting an effort every 95 seconds. If it sounds hard, it was. Low numbers tonight probably due to traffic (accident causing chaos across Swindon) but thankfully there was a group 3 (just 3 of us!). Otherwise not sure I'd have managed all of them. 3 laps to cool down. Quality session considering the bank holiday weekend I had.

Spoke to Neil who tells me "summer" training will start next week ie fewer reps and longer recoveries. In a funny way I think I'll miss the winter sessions as they definitely helped get my 10k time down. I won't miss the extra layers of clothing however.

Nice to see my friend Kate Jacobs there as well after a bit of an absence. It made me laugh when she told me some members of the harriers had seen my scathing report on the Bath half marathon on runners' world!

Wednesday 26th March
Kelly Clarkson concert in London tonight (don't laugh) so did a session in the morning. Interval session at the lake, jog out there, 3 laps hard, jog back. I definitely need those new trainers. Undid a lot of my hard work by having a few beers in London and a big plate of Nachos, but will definitely start being good again tomorrow. And the concert was great - the girl can really sing.

Thursday 27th March
My trainers arrived at work today so had an opportunity to break them in. Went to the gym, did 5k on the treadmill in my old ones then put the new ones on and jogged out to Lydiard park (about 2-3 miles). They are great and fit really well. Boy did I feel the difference. So taken with them I did another 5k on the treadmill afterwards. In fact, I might even take a risk and use them for the Hogweed Hilly Half on Sunday..at least they will give me the cushioning I need going up and down those hills..

No comments: