Saturday 12 January 2008

Getting back into it

This cold still hasn't gone away completely but is now really just an annoying cough.

Thursday I managed to get out. The weather was quite mild so I decided to do an interval session at the lake (at Sparcells). Basically the session is this: jog out to the lake (I think it's roughly a mile and a quarter from the gym), quick recovery, then laps of the lake at about half marathon pace with a short walk recovery inbetween each lap. A lap, I am led to believe, is just over 1 mile - someone told me it is 1.8km.

On a good day I'd do 5 or 6 laps. I read in runners' world magazine this is one of the most important sessions a distance runner can do as it teaches the body to deliver oxygen to the muscles. It was something Anthony used to have me doing as I was getting into marathon training, and certainly seems to work for me.

On Thursday I took it fairly steady and only did 3 laps. I still can't push myself to the limit as my breathing won't take it, plus I didn't want to tire my legs out before the rough n' tumble 10 mile race on Sunday. But it was great to get out and do some "proper" training at last.

Friday I had a rest day and had a full body massage with Ali. My legs weren't as sore as usual (they have had an easy time of it lately, to be fair) and my back was nowhere near as tense as last time. Think the full body is a good option as I can cram two sessions of pain into one.

Today (Saturday) I just did body pump, going fairly light with the weights, especially on the squats and lunges track. Nice to see a few of my friends turning up for it, as to be honest I only really went for the social side of it today.

No comments: