Thursday 17 January 2008

Still hurting

Its not been an easy few days, the rough 'n' tumble took more out of me than I thought and my calves and hamstrings have been giving me gyp the last few days. Just goes to prove that a race like that does make for a good strengthening exercise even if the time is disappointing.

So, on Tuesday I eschewed speedwork and just went to step class instead. Its not the easy option it might sound - by the end I was soaked in sweat and all the lunges off the step did have me blowing a little. The instructor, Frankie, always does a good class, and she is a lovely lady to boot - always says hello, always has a chat if she sees me shopping in Sainsburys. If only she would switch her step class to Monday, it would make the perfect recovery session after a race or long run.

Wednesday was the usual cross-training day, pump and spinning back to back. Found pump a bit easier now I'm getting used to the release, and managed to up the weight slightly on the chest track. Spinning was good but didn't get the usual sweat on. Not sure why this is, I had plenty of resistance on and was pedalling hard enough. Maybe I'm just too fit these days!

Tonight (Thursday) my calves were still sore, so I just went out for an endurance run; what I know as the Cheney Manor route via the church. At a guess its 6-7 miles and it was nice to just go out, switch my music on and jog round. It seemed to do the trick because by the end my legs felt much looser and I managed to up the pace a bit. In fact, I had so much energy left I did most of my core work when I got back to the gym. Good session.

Tomorrow will definitely be a rest day, I may do pump Saturday morning but will be going very light if I do. I'm meant to be taking part in the Highworth half marathon on Sunday (weather permitting it still goes ahead). This is for club runners only and I'm only in it because I asked to do it. One of my fellow team members is the lad who won the Swindon half marathon in 2005 so it should be interesting to say the least!

No comments: